View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

[edit] oh and that Clooney remark was totally unnecessary, Hollywood actors should not be allowed to express their politics openly...
I'm sorry but that's complete bollocks. They are people, just like the rest of us. They have the right to their opinions, their politics, and the right to express them. If someone told you that you should not be allowed to express your politics openly I bet that there would be cries of 'free speech' echoing all over the place. I'm sure Hitler or Stalin would have loved your suggestion. Which other professions would you like to gag?

For what it's worth, I do agree that Clooney's comment was in poor taste.
[/QUOTE]Epona beat me to it. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Hollywood actors have a tougher legal hurdle to win a privacy or slander/libel case - which is why Enquirer and other rags can report untruths without fear of ramification. The legal theory is that one who's in the public spotlight is putting themselves up for public debate/ridicule. In order to win these cases a famous and/or political figure must prove you said the untruth with malice, meaning "with the intention to hurt them."

So, if they have less rights than the rest of us regarding privacy, etc., is it fair to also take away their rights to express their politics - thereby limiting their access to the First, and most important (considering public opinion only), Amendment? Hoooooog - Waaaaaaash!