Old 01-23-2003, 04:43 AM   #27
B_part
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
quote:
Originally posted by B_part:
The problem is, there are two completely different kinds of F15:

F15C (Charlie), single seated fighter, the BEST fighter in our skies nowadays. (If you don't count the relatively few F22 Raptors)
F15E (Strike Eagle) is a double seated fighter bomber, built on the hull of the F15C, but completely different. It's role is that of deep hitting the enemy with precision strikes. Once it has jettisoned its air-to-mud payload, the Eagle can become almost as good as the Charlie.
May I ask where you're getting your information?

With the exception of the second seat and the additional systems used for ground attack (most notably the SAR radar) they are virtually identical, and if you compare the Delta (two seat trainer) with the Echo the differences are even smaller.
[/QUOTE]Info comes directly from Clancy's fighter wing, which I had within reach, indirectly from other things I read here and there. Anyway the E version was redesigned (60% of the structure) to optimize it for air to ground, and its payload was increased by 6000kg, making it a bomber. Also the WSO takes much of the pilot's work in aiming the bombs.
In the ATA role the E would be even better than the C (four eyes, more thrust power), but since ground strike is a much more needed mission once air superiority is achieved, Eagles are used in that role, which means that they carry ATG bombs, leaving less space for Slammers & co, and forcing them to jettison bombs and abort mission if they want to dogfight. That's why Eagles aren't as good as fighters.