View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 04:02 PM   #13
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Even accidental racism must be openly discredited.

The fact that a "former" segregationist still sat on the senate all those years brings questions to my mind, not to mention the fact he is a 100 years old.

I don't deny many people live to be old and have a keen mind, but please, 100 years old? Retirement is way over-due for anyone who once ran supporting segregation, much less continued to serve til they are 100 years old.
I really don't think he said it to be racist or with a racist idea behind it. He was just ridiculous enough not to imagine it would be seen as racist, which is sad in and of itself.

Actually Strom rejected racism later. Much like George McGovern, who now serves in a predominately black district. People can change, and I think those who can change life long ideas have taken a bigger step against racism than people like me who have always opposed it.

He was definately too old to have run and been elected this past term though. Did you see him speak at some of the post-September 11th committee meetings last year? That was sad! You couldn't understand a thing he was saying. I was embarrassed for him and those who voted for him.

[ 12-15-2002, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]