View Single Post
Old 12-14-2002, 02:03 PM   #28
Gregster
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I gotta admit-- I thought Ronnie was a fantastic President, and I love the job he did. However, before declaring the "Greatest Living American," I hope someone took a pulse...he's not been well lately.

Of course, honoring Ronald Reagan in any way is a great way for conservatives to tease liberals through the bars...ever notice all the stuff that's being re-named for Reagan? 'Cuz it's guaranteed to make liberals wet themselves and fall down kicking and screaming.

Throughout this thread I've noticed some of the following slights levelled against the dear old Gipper:

1. He neglected his duties during Iran/Contra...apparently by not being aware of what was going on. If he made a mistake, it was not watching every person in his administration from the VP down to the guy cleaning the toilets at the Treasury Office. Reagan was not a micro-manager, and his successes came from this. Now, if he'd had his hands in every little thing that happened, like Jimmy Carter...well, we wouldn't have sold any missiles to the Iranians to hurls at the Iraqis (a notion that certainly braks MY heart) but the economy would be in the toilet. Hooray.

2. People in his administration were locked up. Unlike all those other scandal-free Presidential administrations we've had...

3. Reagan was big Republican meanie who disliked black people. Social spending in real dollar terms under Reagan was 3 times what is was under Carter. The black middle class grew some 40-50%.

And have you ever noticed that when you criticize a liberal political figure for REAL personal failings (vs. the ones people ASSUME a conservative one has because he's...you know..."conservative") such as treason, lying and adultery **cough Clinton cough** liberals are so quick to point out how great the economy was was under that person's watch **cough Clinton cough** and how a strong economy excuses all else sense it shows he "was doing the job we elected him to do." Well, the economy was a Carnival in Rio during Reagan's run in office, but they never seem to wanna give him that. Besides, when a Republican is in office, only rich Yuppies benefit from the wealth...when a Democrat is running the show, only nice people who really need themoney and deserve it get rich.