View Single Post
Old 11-27-2002, 01:35 PM   #86
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, I wish I had NEVER said ANYTHING about WWII. My point was simple: allies are good to have. US/UK have been great allies for a long time, and help each other a lot. So much so that the UK gets lots of flame from other EU members on many issues. People and countries cannot agree on every single issue, however - and thank goodness for varying opinions.

Tony Blair, as far as I can tell, has pretty good approval rating in UK, though I have not checked the latest stats. Wasn't he part of a mini labor party coup that was pretty popular? Mayhap I'm thinking of London's mayor instead.

MagiK, we've gone round about this before, so I don't wanna rehash it all over again, and we could just post links to very long-winded religion threads. Nevertheless, as an atheist with a high degree of morals - most of which are dictated by Plato, Hegel, and Nietszche rather than my Baptist upbringing - I must reiterate that I think that morals exist without religion. I think the golden rule would develop in society as a macro self-preservation tool, with or without stone tablets being handed down to Moses. I think the numerous consistencies among religions point to inherent universal truths that exist outside of and before the religion. Since people create religion (even if you believe god really spoke to folks, you must still admit most of the organization and writing is/was done by people) I think truths that already exist get put into religion. MHO.