View Single Post
Old 11-04-2002, 08:56 PM   #40
AliCat
Drow Warrior

WillowIX: I think the reason a lot of Americans have strong accents in other languages is because of the quality of the foreign language teachers in the public school systems, especially those inland (away from the coasts). I believe that the best language teacher should preferably have three qualities: she should be a native speaker, she should be a natural teacher, and preferably, she should also have some education in both the teaching process and in teaching that language. I had one French teacher in junior high who even I could tell had a strongly American accent to her French, and while you could learn vocabulary and grammar from her, actual speech was poor. My best teacher ever was Madame Sena, in high school (Madison H.S., Madison, NJ), who was born in France, but also lived in the U.S. enough to have Queens/Brooklyn-accented English. However, her French accent and enunciation was fantastic, and she taught both language and culture with a flair that made you want to keep learning beyond high school. That said, I think in South Dakota, for instance, you are going to find far fewer native-French teachers, much less be able to find one for each high school or middle school.

Spelca: I don't think it's entirely unfair, either, to call someone lazy for not being able to at least learn some English (or whatever language) in a year, at least enough to get by in an emergency situation. The majority of radio, television, written media, and so forth is in English (although it's rather easy for an immigrant to have not only a TV but also cable and thereby watch Univision or Galavision, which are Spanish-speaking only, and again avoid the need to think in another language). There are plenty of classes in English, and I believe most towns have such at the high schools or community centers, after hours. But yes, many do get by speaking their mother tongues, thanks to governmental efforts to put the census, the tax forms, and many other forms in the most popular immigrant languages, thanks to the above-mentioned cable channels, and thanks to the inevitable shopkeepers who spring up in immigrant communities. I lived in "Spanish Harlem" in New York City for two years; in many of the stores, 80% of the overhead announcements were in Spanish. At times, finding English speakers was tougher than finding Spanish speakers. That kind of community will spring up with any influx of immigrants, but will still end up building up a lot of tension and resentment if the immigrants do not make a token effort of adjusting to their new country by learning the language.