View Single Post
Old 10-23-2002, 06:10 PM   #34
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
My question was for a rationale. Without a Religious figurehead of some sort, for what reason would a rational being (assumeing humans qualify at all) put someone ahead of self. I made no assumption of christian or pagan or any other religion, I am asking only Atheists, what their rationale is for selflessness. I did not deny that they were or could be. I hope this clears up the issue.
I'm wondering what having a religious figurehead has to do with being selfless. Is your rationale for being selfless that God said you should be? (Or the tenets of your religion.) Seems a rather empty reason to me, and certainly not a 'rationale' (ie that was thought out rationally). Cool thought experiment btw Timber [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . What's the rationale then? Love? Reverence for life and humanity? Caring about someone besides yourself? These seem reasonably plausible to me and nothing that I need God to tell me. I don't know if this answers your question. Perhaps because I find the notion that religious people are only selfless and compassionate because they are relgious unsettling. Also, as Timber alluded to, that you seem to be begging the question that people need a rationale to be selfless.

Btw the blue is quite hard to read. I liked the aqua you were using a while back [img]smile.gif[/img]