View Single Post
Old 09-04-2002, 09:46 PM   #38
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Both Hunter and Attalus have valid comments. I agree with Hunter (and have said so a couple of times in the thread) that tattoos are fairly accepted in our culture nowadays, save in the most conservative positions. Heck, our administrative assistant, second only to our director where I work, sports an ankle tattoo that can be clearly seen and no one gives her any flack about it. (This is at a vocational-technical skills-training college.) So the idea that a person can't find work because of a tattoo or body piercings is ludicrous. "Come out of the Fifties" is what I'd say about that.

However, Attalus is equally correct that sometimes people make decisions when they are younger that may affect them considerably later on, especially things that more or less permanently alter the body, such as tattoos, body piercings, etc. I happen to know a tattoo artist in Dallas, by the pseudonym of "Tigger." He's one of the most respected artists there is in the city. He also maintains ethics and standards, and will not tattoo anyone A) under 18 years of age, B) who is under the influence of mind-altering substances, including alcohol, and C) without having an extensive interview session with them, making sure they are positive this is what they want to do. He also refuses to tattoo names on a person, for obvious reasons. (I think he makes an exception if the name is "Mom". ) Likewise, he refuses to tattoo certain areas of the body (like the face, the neck, the soles of the feet, etc.) You would think with all these stipulations that he wouldn't have any business, hm? The guy has a waiting list. He's that good.

The problem with tattoo removal is that you can never really fully remove it. Some trace always remains, whether a faint shadow or a whitened scar (depending on the method). That's why Tigger won't tattoo certain areas.

Deciding to get a tattoo should be as involved as purchasing an expensive piece of art; even more so. Even with the most costly piece of art, you can sell it if you get tired of it. You can't do that with tattoo.

-Sazerac

[ 09-04-2002, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Sazerac ]

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."