View Single Post
Old 08-30-2002, 09:25 AM   #25
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagorion:
Well to post the whole speech here is to waste time cause its some 800 words long but i will post my origional Introduction to my speech (the one i had before this thread [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

Good morning, today I am going to be talking to you about how some texts have helped form a view of the typical Australian identity and that there is indeed no one Australian identity but many. We are a multicultural country- originating from immigrants and convicts from all over that world- and no-one can rightly prove that the typical “Ozzie” is a beer gutted, singlet wearing, slow talking, tradesman and drunk who’s most commonly spoken fraise is “Get me a beer woman!” Nor is he a … wearing bushman that runs around, hyped up on drugs, saying “kricey” every 10 seconds. Today I will be drawing my information from the movies “The Castle”, “The Man from Snowy River” and “Muriel’s Wedding”. From these movies I hope I can prove to you that there is no definite Australian Identity.

And here is my new one-

Good morning, today I am going to be talking to you about how some texts have helped form a view of the typical Australian identity. People say there is no Australian identity and that we are a multi-cultural country but when you picture an Australian what do you see? Is it a Chinese man with a stubby? Is it an Italian person wearing a singlet? No, it isn’t is it? It is most likely a fat guy sitting on a couch with a wet patch on the front of his shirt with a beer watching sports. Why is this what most people think of when they think of an Australian and is it accurate? As a matter of fact it is virtually only us that pictures us as that. Many people from other countries think of us as sun tanned average looking people, possibly with a beard and casually dressed. It is impossible to think of what an Australian would look like if you simply say that there is not identity you cant just say “There is no REAL Ozzie so why bother talking about a fat man on a couch?” I plan to prove to you- using only the movies Muriel’s Wedding, The castle and the man from snowy river- that if there were an Identity that it would have to be the beer drinking, heavily accented, slang speaking man that many people think of.

Any advise? Well it may not make some sence because you dont have the task sheet that says what i have to do for it.
Crikey mate! That's not a very good speech, you must be a bloody idiot. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
j/k