Thread: baseball strike
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 10:39 PM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I remember the last strike and they lost a lot of goodwill back then. I can't believe they're talking about another strike so soon. Aren't the fans worth nothing at all ?
Apparantly not, Johnny.

As has already been mentioned, these guys are ALL millionaires many times over, and the owners are billionaires...yet they demand that the TAXPAYERS (ie the fans), keep building them newer, bigger, and fancier stadiums. This is usually done through various means...including RAISING the local property tax value!

The fact that the owners could pay for the stadium out of their pocket is apparantly lost on them. Ted Turner is the ONLY one to actually pay for his own stadium.

But this is not limited to baseball - football and basketball are JUST as bad. Every year, the college rookies "hold out" for contract negotiations and refuse to report to camp in football.

Basketball threatens to strike just as much as baseball. Personally, I hardly ever watch ANY sports any more...other than the final showdowns (World Series, Superbowl, and NBA Finals). My favorite tournament will always be the NCAA MARCH MADNESS!!! At least SOME of those kids still are just playing for the love of the game.