View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 11:00 AM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Uss, I agree fully with Cerek here. It is ridiculous to put up with what you're going through. I can assure you, that is NOT the way that AD&D is normally played.

You've played the BG series, right? Did they put a dragon in the Nashkell Mines in the first game? Any Beholders in the Cloakwood? No way! You had kobolds and spiders. You never even see a dragon until the 2nd game, and then you're at least 9th level. It's called game balance. There is no way that 4th-6th level characters can reasonably take on a white dragon. That is absurd. It sounds like you have a mini-despot as a DM. Sad to say, a lot of DM's are like that...they take out their petty aggressions on their players and that is WRONG. I DM'd for many years, and I never threw anything out at my players that they couldn't reasonably handle. Especially not on "random encounters." Sounds like the DM is either A) Lazy, B) Vindictive, or C) both.

If you can, seek out another gaming group. Or try to find players online. There's http://www.webrpg.com/ for example, although I think they charge. There are others, though. You can at least get an idea of some of the options you may have.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."