Thread: USA
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 05:19 AM   #83
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Hesperex:
Donut, I as a British citizen myself I would have to disagree with you to some degree, (not about the spelling btw )
Yes an imigrant can become British in title, but British isnt just a word written on a passport ...to be British is something I consider very speacial and very unique ... you can not just become British overnight, British is something much more than that ...it is hard to describe what I mean infact I'm not even sure what I mean, but I am sure that British is something in the blood so to speak, it is a belief, a culture it is many things. I am not sure you can say the same about been an American to be honest ..but as I am not one I suppose it is impossible for me to say.
Yes Hesperex - that's why I added this line:

'That is if you are talking about becoming a BriTish citizen and getting a BriTish passport.'

But I would argue that what you describe is not being 'BriTish - but 'English'.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show