View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 06:30 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

I was doing some welding underneath my F100 today, and visibilty is quite limited when wearing a welding helmet. The previous owner went a little wild with some crappy undercoating and covered the whole undercage with the s**t and I thought I removed enough, but I guess I was wrong. After a couple of minutes of welding, I felt my arm getting kinda toasty, but thought nothing of it. I then caught a glimpse of light out of the corner of my eye, and by this time my arm was screaming hot, so I stop welding, flipped up the faceplate and HOLY S**T, not only was the truck on fire, but the undercoating had melted and was dripping onto my arm, burned through my jean jacket and searing my skin.
I wasn't quite sure which one to put out first, but luckily I always keep a fire extinguisher close by when welding or cutting. I was pretty lucky by the looks of it, as the whole back of the cab and front of the bed was scorched by flames and damn hot. The trucks a '67 with the fuel tank behind the seat, sitting against the back wall of the cab.
I guess I didn't remove enough of the undercoating!