Thread: Voltage...
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2002, 02:47 PM   #16
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I'm sure you know this already MagiK, but I'm just going to ramble on for fun! The trouble with reality compared to math, is that measurements are all approximate, no value is ever truly zero, and every time you change the physical properties of something, no matter how efficient, you lose at least a small portion of energy in the process.

AC is unique in it's ability to produce rapidly rising and falling magnetic fields in the conductor. Magnetic fields store energy as they are generated, and release energy when they fall onto any conductor within the field. Make one coil of wire, and you have an electromagnet. Intermesh two thinly insulated coils of wire and you have a transformer. The ratio of coils of wire between the two coils determines the voltage conversion. It make s sense. The loops in the first coil determine the strength of the generated magnetic field. We all know that from electromagnet science projects in school. The loops in the second determine how much of the conductor is exposed to the falling magnetic field. The voltage of the induced current in the second coil is directly related to this. Now you can manipulate voltage! You can send high voltage through long distance wires, minimizing energy lost to heat from wire resistance, and convert that to a safer voltage at the consumer end! Since magnetism and electricity are nearly the same phenomina, this method of conversion is very efficient. Spiffy huh?
Eeewwwww dude!! you are taking back to all those electric/electronics classes....man 1980 to 1982 was a nightmare time of cramming for me....hehe wow hard to believe how long ago that was [img]smile.gif[/img] And yes the subject is quite fascinating....especially when studied at a more....leisurely pace [img]smile.gif[/img]

Waveguides, three way switches....inductance, impedance tuned coils and enough RF energy to make a guy produce FLK's....

err FLK's ar commonly refered to by civilians as "Funny Looking Kids" [img]smile.gif[/img]