View Single Post
Old 06-21-2002, 11:23 AM   #33
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Let me go [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] for a sec.

Let me just post some points to consider in debating this issue, which seems to have been bandied around quite a bit in the last few days):

• I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. This is the cornerstone around which the concept of freedom of speech is built, as long as it is done with respect for others
  • Debating at Ironworks is not about winning or losing, rather it's about expressing a point of view and listening to another person expressing theirs. There is no shame in agreeing to disagree when the argument starts to go nowhere.
  • Don't take things personally. Life's too short to get upset about another person's point of view.
  • If you can't handle people disagreeing with you, then don't get into a debate - you will not enjoy it and it will cause everyone problems.
  • A controversial viewpoint expressed politely, tactfully and respectfully will have a better chance of being accepted than a mainstream viewpoint expressed rudely and disrespectfully.
  • Remember that two of the most difficult things to do on the internet are: 1) admit that you can't change the other person's point of view; and 2) accept that failing to change the other person's point of view does NOT mean they are better than you.
  • Have the serenity to accept what you can not change, the courage to change that which you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
  • There is nothing to be learned from enforced uniformity or vituperative argument. But the courteous exchange of differing ideas both enlightens and invigorates.
  • Don't know it all! - Ronn Bman
  • Be willing to learn from someone you're sure is wrong. - Ronn Bman
  • When in doubt about a person's intent, give them the benefit of the doubt. Rarely does someone actively seek to insult another.
  • Nothing is ever lost by walking away from a fight or a heated issue. You only lose when you lose control of yourself.
  • Treat others as you would have them treat your child: do not curse at, belittle, disrespect, or otherwise be mean-spirited. You are free to disagree, but you are not free to railroad someone else into agreeing with you.
  • Behind every name, there's a person. And behind every name, is an email address and IP, which can BOTH be banned.

Back on topic. Carry on - but with the above mantras in mind. Thank you for your cooperation. [img]smile.gif[/img]