View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002, 12:36 PM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:

First : How many children aged 6, in our countries where Santa is supposed to pass, would tell you that Santa does not exist ? Close to none, I think. If you trust human testimony, then you should trust theirs, as they are as human as you and I are, aren't they ?
They are human, Moiraine, but thier understanding of the world is immature. They cannot separate fact from fiction, so their testimony cannot be accepted as valid proof.

My 5 1/2 year old currently wants me to buy him a Pokemon Battle Stadium, because he thinks the plastic caricatures he has will "become real" when they are plugged into the Stadium. He thinks he will then have a "real" Pokemon, just like on the cartoon.

My 4 year old doesn't perceive any danger with walking into the road in front of our house. Neither he nor his brother can fully grasp what would happen if a car struck them.

So, from the viewpoint of proving Santa's physical existence, their testimony could not be counted as valid.

However, as Deathkiller pointed out, Santa Claus is a cultural creation evolved from the existence of a real person. And - in this case - the testimony of the children is perfectly valid. They believe in him and millions of parents (myself included) work hard to perpetuate that belief.

In fact, I will be going to the local Wal-Mart sometime soon to buy a pair of completely useless rubber boots. Why? Because I plan to stick one between the glass doors of our fireplace for the children to find on Christmas Day (WHOA!!!! LOOK, SANTA LOST A BOOT!!!!!).

On a deeper level, I beleive Santa Claus represents a perfect metaphor of God that children can understand.

1) He is the embodiement of universal love. (Santa loves ALL kids).
2) There is the "threat" of punishment for being bad boys or girls, but how many children actually ever get a stocking full of switches or coals. The message --- Santa forgives them for "being bad" because he loves them so much and knows that they are really good little boys and girls.
3) Santa's love is exhibited by the sharing of gifts. Gifts that are not "earned" by the kids, but that are given simply out of Santa's love.

The same is true of our Salvation. We can't "earn" Salvation on our own....it is freely given by God to anybody that sincerely seeks it.

So, you see, Santa is a wonderful creation that can be used to lead your children to Christ by establishing the fundamental ideals in a format they can understand and appreciate.

[ 06-17-2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]