Thread: Terrorists!
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2001, 06:15 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
I wonder how many people in the World think terrorist are usually of the bin laden stripe. Do people realize that terrorism covers a very wide range.

If I called you up and said someday this month I'm going to come to your house and blow your head off with a shotgun and then just watched you as you lost your mind thinking about when it would happen. That of course is terrorism of the most personal nature.

If you were the skinny kid in school that the bully picked on, you were a victim of it.

It seems people now feel terrorism wears a turban and lives in the Middle East. The people that threaten Arabs in America are also terrorists.

Terrorism: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

------------------------------

Systematic:
1 : relating to or consisting of a system

2 : presented or formulated as a coherent body of ideas or principles

3 a : methodical in procedure or plan
3 b : marked by thoroughness and regularity

4 : of, relating to, or concerned with classification; specifically TAXONOMIC

Terror:
1 : a state of intense fear

2 a : one that inspires fear : SCOURGE b : a frightening aspect c : a cause of anxiety : WORRY d : an appalling person or thing; especially : BRAT

3 : REIGN OF TERROR

4 : violence (as bombing) committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands

A school bully is not a terrorist. Neither is someone who threatens an individual in the manner you mentioned. In English, we use words to differentiate certain things.

A terrorist is one who practices terrorism as above. The systematic use of terror as a means of coercion.

BTW, to coerce is:

1 : to restrain or dominate by force
2 : to compel to an act or choice
3 : to bring about by force or threat the compliance of the rest of the community
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote