View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Nope. The numbers are the numbers. If J. Kerry feels the need to distort them to be worse than what they are (which I admit he does), then that's fine to take issue with. But, there has still been a net job loss, even counting the self-employed.

Now, make sure any numbers you cite don't fudge by taking all those people who fled back to school off the "unemployed list." This is where I find the most "fudging" of numbers. I have a friend who lost his tech service job (to India, of course) and went back to school to learn accupuncture and Chinese medicine because he couldn't get a job and needed to do *something.* Turns out going back onto the Student Financial Aid rolls for a few years is a way to avoid poverty/homelessness that *many* people have taken once their jobs went *poof.*

Just look at the rise in enrollments in colleges, and not just the Stanfords and State Schools, which are always packed to capacity, but at the tech schools, the vocational schools, and the "for profit" schools.

And, each of these people who flee to academia are taken off the unemployment rolls. That's not a Bush policy, it's just the way the government accounts for it.

And, it's lying to ourselves about the severity of the job market in our country. Things are not good.

[ 10-26-2004, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote