View Single Post
Old 03-05-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Not that I disagree with planned parenthood, but I do want to point out that arguing "back alley" aboritions indicate a need for cleaner safer places for abortion is a little bit like arguing crack houses are reason to legalize crack and have a safe place to do it. Either the thing is moral and legal, or it is not.

Here's the real thing with US funding planned parenthood -- making it legal to get an abortion is different that procuring it for someone. Domestically, our government does not pay for abortions. In fact, for a woman on welfare, our government would rather pay the $5,000+ costs of child birth than pay $400 for an abortion. I think that's wasting my tax money, but the other side of this debate thinks you should never spend tax dollars to kill fetuses, however legal it may be to do so.

Regardless, one thing is certain: if we don't spend for something domestically based on ethical concerns, it certainly isn't fair for us to go spend money on that thing in another country. Which is why the funding was pulled.