View Single Post
Old 05-31-2002, 04:37 PM   #38
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
quote:
The true irony here is that the government does not need these new surveillance powers. They had many pieces of the 9/11 puzzles well in advance of the event, but due to inept bureaucrats and poor coordination they missed it. The FBI was forbidden from domestic spying for good reason, since they badly abused that power in the 60's and 70's.
and what exactly were these abuses in the 60's and 70's?was it the monitoring criminal organizations like the black panthers,a.i.m.,and a whole host of left wing groups?[/QUOTE]Well, the FBI carried out widespread domestic spying in the 1960s and ’70s as part of the notorious COINTELPRO (counter-intelligence program) operation. Under then-FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, COINTELPRO targeted black nationalists, civil rights activists and opponents of the Vietnam War. Those under surveillance included boxer Muhammad Ali, actress Jane Fonda, Dr. Benjamin Spock, John Lennon, Dr. Martin Luther King, among many others. Quite a list of criminal organizations... The campaign was targeted against people excursing their constitutional rights of free speech and dissent. The congressional investigation into COINTELPRO showed the FBI used all kinds of illegal methods to do this: illegal wiretaps, blackmail, forgery, and extortion among others.

edit:to actually add my reply, did not take for some reason.

[ 05-31-2002, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]