View Single Post
Old 05-30-2002, 03:09 PM   #153
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
[QB]Dranmek...
Believe it or not, I actually respect your views. I even understand them. Go figure. I DO certainly view all life as sacred, as you do. But I do believe that there are times when we cannot hope to rehabilitate a person. It is sad. I wish I could snap my fingers and make all criminals be filled with remorse for what they had done. I cannot. Locking them up doesn't do much either, except make them more aggressive, frustrated, angry... Then if they are released, who will give them a second chance anyway? If your new neighbour knocked on your door and said that by law, he had to tell you he was a child molester, would you want him near your kid?
Then simply do not release them,
Anyway there are many schemes that can be followed, to prevent people from re-offending, for example liasing with them when they are released and helping them to get a job etc and training them in prison. It simply requires appropriate government funding, rather than just shoving people out back into the community without the appropriate skills to get a job etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
I respect all life. Really I do. But if some bigger-than-Arnold type guy attacks my wife and I can't fight him off, well, I'd use a gun if I had it and wouldn't feel guilty if he died. I would be SAVING a life (two, probably). And that is what most pro-death penalty people have in their minds: they are defending themselves and loved ones from future harm. How can you fault them for wanting to be safe?
Because it does not work,
It does not prevent murder. The United States has executed 1000's of people, and yet the murders still go on. yet Europe (which has a lower murder rate) there is no death penalty.