View Single Post
Old 05-27-2002, 06:15 AM   #19
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

I'm assuming that we are not talking extreme survival here, (although with a two year old it might be), but are you leaving your tent in one place, or carrying it with you?

Some thoughts on what people have said above;

Boots - wear them in before you do any sort of long walk in them. Fabric boots are easier for this than leather *cringes, and waits for the dubbin crew to turn up* (lots of pairs of hiking socks and a blister kit might be a good idea as well)

Insect Repelent - Some of these can be quite nasty, so you might want to seek advice about what to use on your kid. The stuff I've used in the past containd DEET, this works well, unfortunately it dissolves plastic. (I've woken up with purple dye from my inflatable pillow all over my face before now.)

It's not really a problem in the UK, but I'd imagine you will have to do something about hiding your food away from scavangers - someone else will be able to help you better.

Make sure you know how to put the tent up, cook using the stoke, use a compass etc... before you go. I might be an idea to go away for a weekend to practise with all your new equipment. This will also give you a chance to see if you need anything else.

Some other bits I haven't seen mentioned (I'm not sure how applicable they are though);
Waterproofs (probably more important when you are in the UK ),
A good set of maps (maybe one of the night sky if you fancy star gazing),
A wolly hat - important if it gets cold.
A pair of trainers/light shoes to change into when you have finished walking.
(A puncture repair kit. [img]tongue.gif[/img] , and your internet connection, so you can tell us how it is all going. )

And yes

toilet Paper

is something people always forget.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?