Old 05-23-2002, 12:05 PM   #156
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
In 1999 Law enforcement agnecies from accross the USA declined to back a bill to further restrict handguns and firearms rights of citizens. Instead they proposed that current laws be enforced and harsh punishments be meted out. In the 1990's prsecution of firearms violations declined 97%, police arrested the criminals but the Justice department declined to prosecute.

To fix the current problems, enforce the current laws, with stiff penalties, do not punish those who do not break the law...you keep ignoring the fact Dram, that the vast majority of gun owners never did anything wrong..so why target them?
Straw man, [/QUOTE]Dramnek, on this rare occasion I actually agree with your P.O.V. I am against guns, and believe in restricting my freedom to own one so that others are safer.

I reject the statement guns don't kill people, people kill people, for a few reasons.

1.Guns can go off by accident and kill.
2.The gun serves no other purpose than to end life. It is a tool of death. Two humans on the other hand, can create life.
3.A child can kill 6 -10 adults with a gun, and without would not even kill one.

HOWEVER, and this is why I'm replying to you, using "Straw Man" as a parrotlike reply to someones argument, is not only deaf, insulting, name calling and cause diminishing, it is also trollishly antagonising.

Give it a rest mate.
[/QUOTE]In reply Yorick I would like address your bullets (pun intended)

1. not if properly handled. Lots of things are dangerous if you do not use them properly

2. None of the Gunsd I own and use regularly have taken any life. They serve their purpose of recreation. (paper targets and soda cans dont count as life) EDIT: Oops forgot my deer rifle...so only one of my guns has taken a life...sorry for the error.

3. A child with a pipe bomb (made from easily obtained household chemicals) can do as much or more damage than a kid with a gun. It isnt hard to figure out how to construct one.

Your points are all valid, but still don't show a good reason to ban firearms...in my opinion at any rate.

[ 05-23-2002, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]