View Single Post
Old 05-16-2002, 11:00 AM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Wolfie, please, NEVER shake a child! That's worse than a quick swipe across the buttocks. It can cause severe medical problems, including brain trauma. For very small children, a quick tap on the arm or the hand and a firm, loud, but not angry, "No!" usually gets their attention and lets them know you mean business.

I agree with you fully, though, about violence breeding violence. Those who were beaten as kids are far more likely to perpetuate that same behavior as adults, and tend to be more confrontational and argumentative as well because of the anger they still have within them.

-Sazerac[/QB]
YES! I can't count the number of babies we hear about on the local news who were severely injured or killed by being shaken when a parent or guardian was angry.

And for that second paragraph, I can see where that would happen and it's got to be a constant struggle for anyone who grew up that way to refrain from hitting their own children. Still, if they see that much of their anger comes from that background, I think there's a chance they can overcome it. I certainly hope so, anyway.