View Single Post
Old 02-16-2002, 08:19 AM   #4
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I think you need knowledge of London to be able to get the joke in numbers 2, 7, 8 and possibly 1. But mostly they are just stupid. That is the joy of the magazine in question. It also included the following:

Our COWARDLY TREACHEROUS government is giving us just TWO DAYS to celebrate our glorious monarch's glorious fifty years of HAPPY-GLORIOSNESS. Our hearts do burst with celebratings so THIS IS NOT ENOUGH. Not Cheap proposes establishing PATRIOTIC VIGILANCE SQUADS to enforce a WEEK OF NATIONAL HURRAH. These will dress themselves as BRITISH LIONS and shame unpatriotic bosses into allowing their STOUT-HEARTED WERKERS time off to better exalt our QUEEN AND SOVRIN.

We SHALL NOT WORK on Wensdy, Thursdy and Friddy MA'AM, the better to announce with LOUD VOICE and WAVING FLAG and HUMBLE SUBJECTINGS. Ma'am of all the stars in heaven YOU ARE THE BRITEIST. Jacobins and their KNAVISH TRIKS will not bISMURCH you. NO POEP HERE!

Volunnters are ERGENTLY REQUESTED to join with LIKE-MINDED PATRIORTS and CLOS THE WERKPLACES. GLORRY BE! BRITNEY RULS THE WAVS! DOG SAV THE QUEN!

(All spelling mistakes and capital letters are intentional I assume)
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe