View Single Post
Old 02-09-2002, 08:25 PM   #19
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
I just dont understand the massive military build up? Why?

(Trillions of dollars...uh what is all this black op spending actually paying for?)

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]

Djin, a serious answer for a good question...This so called "MASSIVE' build up isnt quite as massive as you may believe. You see the USA is coming out of a period where force integrity was compromised by MASSIVE cuts (roughly 10 years worth) while simultaneously expending what stores we had stockpiled in one war and half a bazillion little police actions we should have stayed out of...With 8 years of leadership by a man who had no concept of what a military is for, trying to act alternately like the worlds policeman, and then as the worlds best diversion creator. We need a lot of this new "MASSIVE" build up just to replace expended stockpiles. We also need to keep up a very high level of spending in our intelligence gathering agencies, some of which are part of the military (each branch contributes unique and "special" resources). Now as for the amounts being spent, TRILLIONS you say?? really? Last I heard the number was under a single trillion...so lets not go too overboard here. Cry about the number if you must but don't exagerate.

As for your question about "Black Ops" spending. If you don't understnad the need for spending that has very very little congressional awareness..then you are too naive about the world to really understand I suppose. (I was going to say ignorant but people see to think that word is some kind of insult, even though it is not).
All nations have some degree of what we call "Black" budgetary items. This is expected and done for one reason and one reason alone. Secrecy! It is well known that in general people can't keep their damn mouths shut and will leak any juicy tidbit they get hold of. A nation cannot protect it self if every defensive plan, item or project is blasted all over the headlines..so what the USA did is to create "Black Projects" where there is a limited congressional awareness..there are some few who are allowed into these projects so that there is some oversight but no general accounting to the whole of congress. Find a better way to do this and then write it up and submit it to the pentagon...I gaurentee that they will take note...if it actually accomplishes the goal.