View Single Post
Old 01-28-2002, 05:49 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

I love classical music (BTW Azure, operas, choir music and various other genres DO have lyrics and vocals [img]smile.gif[/img] ). First and foremsot, the composers I like are people with a deep understanding of music, tone, composition, harmony, etc. Contrary to some modern bands, not everybody can pick up and instrument and become a classical musician.
The complexity of the music is often astonishing, but as a whole, the music remains euphonious for the most part. Classical music isn't necessarily boring or tedious, it can be truly daring and surprising, especially modern classical music. I love the way classical singers use their voices, I love coloratura, I love the emotions it can let loose in a person. Try going to a live performance of Mozart's Requiem or Carl Orff's Carmina Burana to feel the power. [img]smile.gif[/img]
You can compare it to many movies and videogames (take Fellowship Of The Ring) - they often use choirs in highly emotionally-charged parts.

I also love rock music and I used to be a big metal fan, but I do have the prerequisite that the musicians know how to play - that they have both some measure of technical skill and a good feel for their music. If the musicians are good at what they do, I can love any genre.