View Single Post
Old 01-27-2002, 02:49 PM   #120
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I always take great care to word my posts in such a way that they are not perceived as just a gainsay anti-american view point. Yes I am opposed to this war and I hold extreme left wing views, these sometimes take me into contrary positions to many Americans on this forum. I say it once more just so that everyone has heard it, I do not believe that makes me anti-american. I know what you are getting at Ronn, and there is a partial truth in it, in that I think the war should never have been started, but this opinion of mine is based on fact.

What I was saying is that if the prisoners are being treated correctly why does the UN not think they are? Lets put the burden of proof your side of the table shall we. I don't know why the UN would say such a thing if it were not true, do you? I just think we can't dismiss all of this as hot air. And yes, most of the actions of the American government I disagree with, but if I ever posted my true opinions on a wide variety of subjects I have this horrible feeling I would be completely swamped by flame filled posts or merely dismissed as a troll. So I'll just stay quite, a flame war is not something I need.

Barry, I don't know why the UN does, says, or thinks many things, but the hard and fast fact is that the UN has not inspected the facility and the IRC has.

How much proof and what kinds of proof would you actually accept? You aren't willing to accept the findings of a well respected, neutral, international aid organization, so I'd imagine proving anything to you about this would be pretty hard.

BTW, the burden of proof is on the accusor not the accused. We don't have to prove we're innocent (although we spend much time doing just that in vain), those who make allegations have the burden of proof.

Anti-American? Barry, I don't think you're anti-American in the sense that you hate Americans and all American things. Nor do I think you are anti-American in the sense that you support/condone terrorism, the Taliban, et al. I do think you've made a permanent judgement about what America is and what it represents.

That is not an insult, you are entitled to your beliefs. I enjoy debating with you. This is just to let you know where I'm coming from when I respond to your posts. I'm not claiming to know your mind, but I don't think I'll ever see you post anything about how America did something right...lol.

Flame Wars? Who needs those? Believe what you want and share what you want to here. No worries! I'll tell you when you're wrong... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]