View Single Post
Old 01-24-2002, 12:48 PM   #13
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Originally Posted by norompanlasolas:

what? are you really saying this??? there is NO way you can "cirumvent" the geneva convention. thats what it is there for! no government can "circumvent it"!!! if it was that way every single government in the world would just declare a "generic" war on people we dont like and wear sandals, and then be allowed to "circumvent" it

I'm merely stating a fact. Our President did not make an official declaration of war and is using that jargonic juggling to avoid declaring the prisoners as prisoners-of-war. I don't necessarily agee with it, but that's what they're doing.

Barry the Sprout,

Don't take my above Post tooo seriously. It was more of a "venting" session than anything. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] It's very difficult for me to maintain an objective view concerning the Sep 11 attack.

I really do agree that the prisoners deserve humane treatment, but I think the media is helping blow their "mistreatment" out of proportion. The other day, I heard one reporter mention that she could see prisoner's "mopping the sweat off their brow" because it was over 90 degrees that day. Sorry, but sweating in hot weather doesn't constitute "mistreatment" in my book for anybody. Gov't and military figures have repeatedly assured the media that the prisoners are recieving humane treatment in the form of 3 meals per day along with any necessary medical treatment. They are also making arrangements to allow the prisoners to observe their religious practices. But they are kept in shackles because - as mentioned before - they are still EXTREMELY dangerous.

Anyway, I respect the opposing views in this thread. I agree that America has a bad habit of following the rules when it suits them and ignoring them when it doesn't. And, as fable pointed out, the consequences for such an action can be VERY serious in the long run.

But, from a personal standpoint, I simply can't be objective in regards to the Sep 11 attack, so there's a good chance I won't Post here again. I will continue to follow the debate, and I may pop back in if I can add something constructive without flaming. Otherwise, I'll see all of you in some of the other threads.