Thread: Peace \|/
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2002, 08:28 AM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Here's something that might help you, Durwyn. We call them our Ironworks Mantras.

• I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. This is the cornerstone around which the concept of freedom of speech is built, as long as it is done with respect for others.
  • Debating at Ironworks is not about winning or losing, rather it's about expressing a point of view and listening to another person expressing theirs. There is no shame in agreeing to disagree when the argument starts to go nowhere.
  • Don't take things personally. Life's too short to get upset about another person's point of view.
  • If you can't handle people disagreeing with you, then don't get into a debate - you will not enjoy it and it will cause us problems.
  • A controversial viewpoint expressed politely, tactfully and respectfully will have a better chance of being accepted than a mainstream viewpoint expressed rudely and disrespectfully.

I know everyone loves a good spirited debate, since most of you are quite strongly opinionated, if somewhat tactless about expressing opinions, serenely confident in your righteousness and in the other's wrongness. This is not a problem unless you start making snide remarks about each other which don't have anything to do with the topic at hand, as this usually leads to shouting profanities at each other, which then becomes a problem. However, I'm sure will not happen, given that we're all VERY good at exercising self-control, right?

Just remember that two of the most difficult things to do on the internet are: 1) admit that you can't change the other person's point of view; and 2) accept that failing to change the other person's point of view does NOT mean they are better than you.

Hope this helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch's so proud of his mantras! J/k.
It's a good idea to have something like mantras.

see ya!