Thread: Q on Planescape
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2002, 10:23 AM   #9
Tobbin
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Galadria1:
Very interesting stuff. Maybe that explains why I've nver gotten out of the hive. I can't get anyone but Morty to join my party, though I've found Annah and Ignis. Maybe it's 'cause I keep quitting and go back to SOA. As one of the guys on the Balck Isle Boards said to me, "Why would a woman want to be a huge, scarred guy being followed around by a floating, lecherous skull?"

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought that was kind of weird that the player could only be a guy. But it makes sense according to the storyline, I guess. It would have taken a lot more memory for the game (since it's so text driven) to make multiple text for a male or female player. There's a lot to do in the hives, and some of the party members will not join you until you talk to them about something specific or you trigger a certain event. First time through, I didn't take well to the lip that Annah gave me, so I scragged her. It wasn't until later that I found out she was a NPC. Once you get out of the hive, things start to pick up though. It's a really cool game. I've played it like 3 times already because there is more than 1 ending. I believe there are 3, but I'm not for sure. I've seen 2 of them though. My character ended as a mage (36th level)/thief (24th level)/fighter (13th level). S'funny here. The main reason that the thief level went so high was because when I was in the Undercity, I found out that backstabbing and stealth could help save my party. I locked the other party members up where I could explore on my own and I kept doing the hide/run/backstab/run routine until I cleared it all out. Then I would go back to the city proper and go back down. I must have done this non-stop for like a week until I got up to the level thief I wanted. Sometimes the NPC's can be handicaps. Sometimes you gotta go it alone. Main thing I want to bring up to you is that you should not randomly kill people without at least talking to them first. A lot of people will either trigger memories, offer you items/spells, or will be important in some way. The game will let you play on even if you do something wrong (like me killing Annah and the person I needed to get a spell from), but it's easier if you are better prepared.

EDIT: Oh yeah, keep an eye on your alignment too. Certain events are triggered based on what alignment you are. Meaning certain factions will treat you differently according to how you come across. This also isn't really highly important either, because the game just doesn't care. It will let you be as good or as bad as you want. It's cool like that. ;o)

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Tobbin ]