View Single Post
Old 01-09-2002, 04:17 PM   #45
fable
Quintesson

I wrote:

Sure. I'd draw the line at homosexual couples adopting children, though. I happen to feel that a good, psychologically balanced environment requires two parents of different genders, encompassing a variety of gender-delineated social functions. (That doesn't mean they have to follow traditional gender dilenations, but it's easier to include all of the social requirements if the parents include the social "rites" associated with both sexes.)

Axil inquires:

Do you feel as strongly as this, about single parents?

First, I don't feel passionately about denying adoption rights to same sex couples. I am inclined against it, but reserve the right to perform a complete votre-face if I can hear enough evidence to convince me otherwise. And I am always open to reconsidering any issue, and reversing myself. It's happened repeatedly before.

That said, I do feel that the cases of same sex adoption and single parenting are dissimilar. First and most important, because adoption isn't involved in single parenting, so that children would actually have to be removed from their birth environment. Second, because single parents may resume or assume another heterosexual marriage. Third, because single parenting implies an absence from the household, and is usually explained as such by the parent to the child, while same sex households are perceived by the parental units (a cold term) as the norm.