Thread: ABM Treaty
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2001, 01:37 PM   #28
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Medicina the druid:
hmm BG and world politics, i dont see the connection..........?
but since someone mistakenly started this thread here instead of an international news forum, i may as well add on.

absurd things about missle defence:
an icbm is an unlikely threat

more likely is chemical /biological/or "dirty" radiation leaking bomb... none of which need a missle to deliver, only suitcases and devoted individuals who hate america...

i dont think a missle defense shield can stop suit case smuggling unless someone goes to all the effort of duct taping a suitcase to an icbm...very unlikely

so why spend billions possibly a trillion bucks on something that will not protect us from the REAL dangers?

our only hope is to eliminate the real threat:

isolation

it means recognizing that our life and wellbeing is connected to the wellbeing of other peoples
it means reforming our economies to benefit all the peoples of the world so that no part
of humankind suffers from isolation or oppression.
It means recognizing that we are one Human family and must not neglect
any members.
It means examining our concepts, beliefs, insitutions, and behaviours to see if they have a uniting or isolating effect.....

Each system has its place and job, the ABM isnt the method for controlling terrorist types of attacks. There ARE other systems that safeguard against that, some are orbital sensors to track neutron emmisions others are land based. Just because the system doesnt guard against things it isnt designed to protect against..is not justification to cancel the program....not to mention this program can lead to advances in many many different scientific areas......again some people thought the space race was a waste of time..and yet we are far better having had it than not.