Thread: Spirituality
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2001, 06:04 PM   #36
Tabitha Silverwill
Dungeon Master

On a glib (ish) note:

My strong sense of spirituality means that I can forgive the individuals in the faceless corporations, who happen to market the trainers I choose to wear to the gym, in hopes of attaining the perfect body, to please (in addition to MY self confidence) and gain the approval of strangers in the street whose opinions have no importance whatsoever, unlike those of my family and friends who love me unconditionally and the man who loves my mind and personality way before he loves my body.

Saying all that though, still does not mean I can be comfortable knowing that underpaid, exploited individuals are effectively forced to put shiny purple trainers on my feet. Similar to the loving and respecting animals point but still eating meat, albeit slightly guiltily.

This, or another thread should maybe consider the concept of vanity and who we are actually being vain for. Do I wear make up for my self confidence and pleasure or for the approval of others? Can vivisection be justified? When is it right to wear the pelt of an animal for cosmestic purposes. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Waffling on again but they are interesting points to posit.