Thread: Spirituality
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2001, 04:19 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ouch. That sounds like it could become an issue, if she really places material matters above emotional/spiritual ones all the time. Of course, if you love eachother you will find a way to talk about it, but I think it helps a lot if your partner thinks the same about such matters as you do. Suppose you were to move in together and she'd insist on having certain expensive furniture/equipment etc, it could become a problem.
Personally, I don't know if I can be called very spiritual, but I certainly know what you mean about people seeming so materialistic.
I don't think you are the last of a dying breed though - you may feel like that sometimes, but in the end I think there are many people who place spiritual/mental wellbeing above any kind of financial/material security. While I do place value in certain earthly goods, such as my books, or nice clothes (not necessarily expensive ones though, in fact, rarely expensive ones) my way of living is quite sober and simple, and I do not care anything for cars, gear, phones, etc. I find such an attitude a bit superficial, to say the least.
Is your girlfriend like that, or does she simply appreciate a little bit of luxury without losing sight of what's really important? That would be very different, I think.