View Single Post
Old 11-27-2001, 07:48 PM   #24
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

I think you make an interesting point, but I don't think all human cloning comes from human embryo's does it? I could be wrong.

Seems to me, if through research, you could find a way to clone healthy human cells this would be a viable option. Say for instance if I could donate cells, and they could in turn "grow" something useful to help someone else. This to me would be no more offensive than organ donation, and even better because I would live through it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kind of like the experiment where they grew a human ear on the back of a mouse.(who the heck came up with that idea) I don't recall that being work with embryos.

Hi, Ronn! [img]smile.gif[/img]

If it was just a matter of taking some of your own cells and they could be made to grow into an organ to replace a defective one it might be ok. But that isn't how it works. A clone can certainly be grown from one of your own cells BUT it automatically becomes a human embryo because they have to place your cell into a human egg cell that has had its natural nucleus removed. The nucleus of your cell becomes the nucleus of the egg cell and develops as though it had been fertilised (not sure of all the details, but that is roughly it), if that egg cell with your genetic material in it is then placed into a uterus it stands a chance of surviving to become a human baby - though not as good a chance as a naturally fertilised egg, because it has been messed with. But it is as human as you are, even though a clone of you. It is also NOT a perfect clone. They have found out that, in some way they are not sure of, the genetic material of the donated egg cell is also present even though they didn't think it could be because the nucleus containing that genetic material had been removed.... (No, I don't understand this either....! )

Anyway, the cells are living, human, and could potentially become a baby.

IMO, stripping out the stem cells - thus killing the embryo - is murder. Just because some people prefer to believe it is 'just a bunch of dead cells' and 'not human' doesn't alter the facts. The cells ARE alive AND human. They would be worthless if they were dead/not human.
Anyway - big argument and I could get VERY heated so I'd better shut up! [img]smile.gif[/img]