View Single Post
Old 10-25-2001, 12:43 PM   #14
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Outstanding info Epona! Any clue as to where to go to read up on this? Any advanced animals, or just single celled animals and plants? Where there are protozoa, there are usually hydra also.

Thanks, I do my best
There is an excellent BBC documentary series on TV in Britain at the moment called The Blue Planet - nature documentaries is what the BBC does best - narrated by David Attenborough. So I'm sorry to say that I got all this info off the TV (shame) although a good reliable channel.

I'm just finding a link to their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/programm...ogrammes.shtml

They had one program in the series about the deep ocean. They actually showed some film of an 'underwater lake' which was astounding. It was a big pool of thick saltwater at the bottom of the sea. It gave off methane gas which made any fish swimming across the top virtually faint unconcious. Bacteria which lived off the methane were the basis for a huge ecosystem which included mussels, tubeworms, crabs and lobsters, all too far from the sun to gain energy from it. Truly amazing stuff.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."