Thread: What's going on
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2001, 10:14 AM   #23
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Hiya, Wolfie!!!! ((((hugs)))) and Mel

I appreciate how readily I've been accepted here. I don't think I've ticked anyone off (yet) and I hope to never do so. If I ever do, though, please tell me, because, believe me - it would never be intentional. I love you all too much to be hurtful on purpose.

My philosophy on 'touchy' subjects has been to read, think about what I want to post, read some more, think some more, read once more and if I think I can still contribute without causing a ruckus, I'll post (as carefully as possible). Notice that I 'think' and 'read' many times before posting. This may be part of the problem on the War Forum. People get emotional about what they read, maybe even misread something if they're already upset about something else; or the other person, speaking another language in r/l is having difficulty expressing themselves in English, therefore inadvertantly causing a misunderstanding. Guys, please - read and re-read posts that irritate you to be as sure as you can be that you are taking what is said in the context it was intended. I frequently have to decipher some posts due to language barriers that would ordinarily have ticked me off, but upon re-reading them, I realize my error. I always 'think twice, but act once'. For those of you getting upset, try that...if you read something you find upsetting, take a step back and re-read the whole thread. Ask for clarification in case the person posting just didn't get his/her point across well. Try asking, in a neutral tone: "Now let me see if I understood you. You are saying....." and restate their post in the way you read it. Give the other person the benefit of the doubt to say, "yes, that's how I meant it" or "no, let me rephrase that for you" before determining that you are being insulted.

That being said - I also implore you all to stop with the sarcasm. I've seen quite a bit lately and it serves no purpose but to inflame people. I, myself, was victim of such. But instead of getting upset about it and leaving that forum, and instead of retaliating with same, I (hope) I confronted the person fairly but firmly and expressed that I would not take that kind of bait. I feel I retained my dignity and self-respect and that person did not come back at me again with any sarcasm. It doesn't always work, but it's worth it if it does.

(((hugs to all)))

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*