View Single Post
Old 10-09-2001, 07:56 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hi, Cloudy!

This is a great idea. If people get to know each other better, they may be a lot more prone to think of them as friends and not as "combatants" within a thread.

My online handle is "Sazerac" as many of you already know. Normally I'm fairly happy-go-lucky, but I've had a run of stress lately, as I think a lot of people have had. I live in North Texas, which is halfway between the piney woods of the South and the great plains (actually, we're just on the edge of the plains). I love nature, being outdoors, talking with others, playing games (duh), and reading (all kinds of literature).

The recipe that Cloudy is referring to is called "Coffee Can Chicken", and I'll reproduce it here for those of you who may be interested in it. It's great for at home (outdoors) or on a camping trip.

Coffee Can Chicken

Ingredients
For the cooker: 1 large coffee can (jumbo-sized, Folgers or Maxwell House, for example)
1 large nail
Charcoal Briquets

1 medium-sized chicken (fryer)
1/2 stick butter
Cavender's Greek Seasoning (TM)
Heavy Aluminum Foil

PRE-PREP

With the nail, punch 3 holes in the sides of the coffee can, about 1 inch from the bottom of the can, equally spaced around it. Layer the bottom of the coffee can with a few charcoal briquets (8-10 should do, or a couple more if desired, depending on the size of the can). Light them and let them turn white.

Meanwhile, prepare the chicken by removing the innards (make sure to check! They're usually in a package inside the cavity), washing it thoroughly, then rubbing it all over with butter (for self-basting). Cover liberally with the Cavender's Greek Seasoning. That's really the magic touch. Lift up the skin of the chicken and get the seasoning underneath as well as best as you can. Then wrap the chicken thoroughly in aluminum foil, tightly, and stick it, legs upward, into the coffee can.

Go away for 210 minutes (3 1/2 hours).

After chicken is cooked, remove it from the coffee can and unwrap the foil. Serve however you like. All the juices should be intact, and the meat should be tender enough to fall from the bone.

Enjoy!

------------------