View Single Post
Old 10-08-2001, 02:08 PM   #7
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
I'm sure someone will come up with a way to explain it, but I, personally, cannot. It has been a major stumbling block in my personal spiritual struggle: the desire to cast it all away while at the same time wanting and/or needing so many things that require money.

Money yes, definitely. But I reckon most of us could live more simply than we do now, thus needing less. Two years ago, I was earning mega bucks as a contractor in Holland. I spent money on a lot of crap I didn't need. Even with the amount I was earning, I was still in debt, as I spent money to compensate. Now I work part time, writing, and paint. I spend about 1/4 of the time working that I used to. I get less money, but I don't have a problem with that.

Generally, I only buy what I need, mostly I buy second hand. I don't maintain a car. My recreational pursuits have changed - whereas I used to spend maybe 50 to 100 pounds for an evenings entertainment, nowadays I get change out of a fiver. (I don't drink alcohol any more, in case anyone's wondering how I do that )

But yes, downsizing is definetly an option. Work out what you NEED and what you only think you want. You'll cut your costs mega, and be able to spend more time doing what you love doing.
(By the way, I'm still in debt, but I think that's more to do with my character than anything else Also, I have an expensive dance workshop habit to maintain!! )

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati