View Single Post
Old 10-06-2001, 11:35 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
thanks Neb and 250

you do have an interesting answer however (in prob. B), some if not MOST of the beggars are born poor and dont have the ways and means to climb the social ladder of society (sad but true ). it is not their choice whether or not to be born poor and the governement (well in my country anyway) does not give excellent or even adequete solution to this problem. if an adult is still begging, that is understandable since they still have a choice about that, but what about a child? im walking and commuting everyday to school and i always see at least THREE children who are begging for money. do these children have a choice in the cold urban city world? (sorry for not including this on the original problem, beggar is a general kind of word that fits all people, age and race)
Couldn't have said it better!
250, everybody is accountable for their own problems? Boy, am I glad you're one of the few who think that, otherwise this world would be a horrible place.

I thought Neb's post was very wellwritten and I agree with it for the most part. Harkoliar, that was a good comment you made about beggars. Where I live, almost all beggars are drug/drink abusers who ended up on the street as adults. I never give them money because they'd only spend it on drugs and I think I could use it better. In this, I don't agree with Neb, as I will never give such people money. However, I have brought one beggar that we knew a little bit a warm plate of food on a few occasions, and in this my opinion differs from 250's - I think they certainly deserve help, and I'm all for the beggar shelters we have in Amsterdam (where they can get a cup of coffee, a meal and a place to sleep). Such a darwinist view of leaving the weak to their own devices is despicable to me.
Anyway, the distinction was well made, because I can certainly imagine giving money to the kind of beggars you are talking about. This would be different for every country/culture.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art