View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001, 06:07 PM   #31
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

I been wondoring here to post this and I think this shall be the place.

I understand that this so called 'war' on terrorism will happen, even if they give Bin Laden over but I do not agree with it. The very act of moving US forces will kill thousands of innocents, Afghanistan is on the verge of famine and around 20% of the population is estimated to starve to death by the end of this year. That number will probably rise now that people have stopped trying to grow food and now that aid organisations have pulled out.
The planned strategic bombing will probably be useless, Afghanistan has not infrastructure to bomb and if the training camps are found they will contain only a few troops if any. The 'higher-ups' will be in safe locations, some not even in Afghanistan. Also many he has training camps outside Afghanistan, in areas that are sympathetic to his cause like Pakistan.
Any planned insertion of ground troops will only lead to attack by the Talaben (if they haven't attacked all ready.) and probably the rebels’ factions who might see it as an invasion of their country. This 'war' will also be fought as a Griller war, which America wasn't fought since Vietnam and will probably last until winter. Since Afghanistan is a mountain nation it winters are harsh, and all of these factions will lead to heavy losses for the US.
These actions may also strengthen the Talaban control, as I heard that they were close to entering a civil war between various generals who seek power.
Also 'others' outside Afghanistan will perform more attacks on US soil and that of any who support them.
This whole thing will only lead to a lot more deaths on both sides.

------------------

Hodge-podge Sliver Cleric of the ALSB