View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001, 10:42 PM   #40
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:

How is negoiating, and seeking a reasonable, non-warlike path to justice inaction? Did Martin Luther King Jr. Practice inaction?
Does the Dali Lama Practice Inaction. What about Gandi? Who cares if the terrorist are from Iowa or afganistan, To say that violence on a war-like scale is the only response, you deny the practices of great people who have changed the mindscape of the world iwthout any " justifiable retaliation" or any violence for that matter. Some have gotten justice, to a degree, others like the Dali Lama still wait. I see alternative actions, not inaction.
Prevention of the sort being implimented probably wont work. The probability of it causing more problems is higher.
09-23-2001).]
WTF!!?? Did I say violent action was the only action? NO! I said Tracey's proposal was unworkable. I said that the British sending tanks into N.I. would be like America sending tanks into Iowa. It wouldn't happen.

Here's something. Do you know why Nelson Mandela was jailed for all that time? Largely because he wouldn't renounce violent action against the government. (Well that was the official reason.)

I respect Mandela immensely, don't get me wrong. He has healed many wounds in his land, and acted with much grace, forgiveness and compassion. However, I'm trying to point out that sometimes as humans we make the choice between the lesser of two evils. I'm a Christian. I have to do my best to turn the other cheek, to remove the cycle of hate and agression. I do not advocate violence.

However the government has a responsiblitity to provide protection for it's people. Something must be done to prevent this.

We have had a WTC bombing attempt in '93 that failed. Emabassy bombings, a ship bombed. Each time the Taliban refused to give up Bin Laden. Now 6,500 people are DEAD. The largest city in thee country has been gutted. It may not end there. What do you propose? Diplomacy has failed thus far. It hasn't worked. I pray it does. I pray the Taliban find it in their hearts to hand the guy over, but every precendent screams that they won't.

What do you do?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 09-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 09-23-2001).]