View Single Post
Old 09-14-2001, 03:21 PM   #25
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Thanks guys! Wow. I'm speechless.

I was in Union square last night. Lit a "Peace" made from mini candles, joined in a singalong with dancing and persussionists. Climbed up a lampost and watched an incredible scene. In one area were the aforementioned singers, in another a large group were gathered around a memorial pole surrounded by candles flowers and cards. These people were reflecting, contemplating, meditating and praying. Over to the far right of them was another group of people debating, discussing and sometimes slipping into heated exchange. It was intoxicating. It had such a historical primal feel about it. I called out a retort to something one fellow was ranting, but otherwise spent time observing or calming down a few emtionally charged exhanges - some racially based, some ideologically. As the saying goes "A gentle answer turns away wrath."

It actually reminded me of this forum in the way total strangers were exchanging views. Does this forum fill a void that this isolative modern society has created?

I also reflected on how someone like Jesus spontaneously held a crowd like such. Oh the personal magnetism, boldness and oratorial skills he must have possessed!

There is such emotion in the air. People are ready to fight but have no-one to fight against. They are ready to help, but there are too many volunteers. Inaction can breed frustration and frustration breeds explosion. Understanding, grace, patience and tolerance are all virtues in this most unusual time.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!