Thread: On patriotism
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 09:47 AM   #12
Moni

Well patriotism in America has been stifled somewhat over the years.
When I was in Elementary School, we would stand up together, the first thing every morning and say "The Pledge Of Allegiance".
(I pledge allegiance to the flag of The United States of America and to The Republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.]

Because of such differing religious values in this country, it has been all but halted. I seriously wonder how many people under twenty-five know it, or have ever even heard it.

You don't see nearly the same kind of expressions of patriotism now that you did when I was a kid. Everyone, or most everyone had a flagpole in their yard and they flew the red, white, and blue on a daily basis.
Public sentiment over our presence in Viet Nam changed that and gradually over the years, outward expressions of patriotism by people other than schools and government offices (flying the flag every day) has dwindled to a point where flags flying in people's yards only happens on some national holidays for the most part and even then, I have seen less and less flags as the years go by.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!