Thread: Things to know
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2001, 10:01 AM   #4
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

_____
Just a couple of corrections __________________________________________________ __________________

Q. What occurs more often in December than any other month?
A. Conception.
The nursery rhyme "Ring Around the Rosey" is a rhyme about the plague. Infected people with the plague would get red circular sores ("Ring around the rosey"), these sores would smell very badly so common folks would put flowers on their bodies somewhere (inconspicuously), so that it would cover the smell of the sores ("a pocket full of posies"). Furthermore, people who died from the plague would be burned so as to reduce the possible spread of the disease ("ashes, ashes, we all fall down").

I think you'll find that the answer to the first one is Christmas.

The nursery rhyme 'Ring, a ring of roses' does refer to the Great Plauge. The posies were kept in their pockets to protect against the plauge. They also used to hang horse manure around their necks for the same effect. The original English version of the rhyme was 'atishoo, atishoo we all fall down' Just before death the victim started to sneeze.

Here's a piece of trivia. The distance between opposing parties in the British House of Commons is exactly the length of two swords.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!