View Single Post
Old 09-07-2001, 10:15 PM   #1
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

In the Garden of Eden, God said to Adam that he could eat of the fruit of any of the trees of the Garden, except for one: The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (acutally my translation says "bad" instead of "evil" but the latter sounds more impressive )

The Garden of Eden was a paradise on earth, without work or toil, where Adam and Eve simply wandered and ate of the fruits of the earth (And did Lord knows what else, being naked and all )

When Adam and Eve disobeyed God by eating of the forbidden tree, to gain the knowledge of good and evil, God punished them by driving them and their descendants out of the Garden of Eden forever, and cursing they and mankind with hardship and turmoil and eating of the dust of the earth.

According to Genesis in the Bible, Adam and Eve really had gained the knowledge of Good and Evil from eating of the tree, to which they had been blind before.

This myth has long fascinated me, but i am not sure what it means. I have a theory, a somewhat unconventional one. Anybody have any thoughts they would like to share, as to why Adam and Eve should be kicked out of paradise after gaining the knowledge of good and evil?