Thread: Shark Attacks
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2001, 10:33 PM   #4
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
i say its caused by the increasing ability of the American people to overlook any facts that have been found and take stupid risks for their own enjoyment.
Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Definitely surprising to hear so many shark attacks this year no doubt.

Actually, the shark has just become the new "pitbull" of the media. Anything that they find that can stir up fear, they will report on. Let's face it, shark stories sell.

I do, however feel that these shark feeding dives for the sake of giving tourists something to do is a bad idea! It is common knowledge that no aggressive wild animals should be fed. This will lead to sharks losing their fear of humans, and start them actually seeking them out, as they associate them with food.

As far as sharks becoming more aggressive, I don't think that is the case. It has just become a hot topic, so we will now here about every attack worldwide instead of it just being local news.

This from MSNBC:

The number of shark attacks is increasing over time, not because sharks are becoming more aggressive but because there are more people, and swimmers, on the planet. Worldwide there are probably 70-100 shark attacks annually, resulting in 5-15 deaths. The numbers are rough because data from some countries is poor. Historically the death rate was much higher than today, but the advent of readily available emergency services and improved treatment has greatly reduced the risk of mortality.

------------------

Proud new member of LH!

[This message has been edited by Liliara (edited 09-03-2001).]