Thread: Chili Cookoff
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2001, 01:27 AM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I had a great day today myself. My wife and I went to the 2001 Texas Open Chili Cookoff in Lewisville, Texas today. We had a couple of friends (a husband and wife team) competing there today. We left before the judging was complete, so we're waiting to hear from them (probably by tomorrow) whether or not they placed. If they did, then they automatically proceed to the National Finals in Terlingua, Texas in November.

It was a near-perfect day. It was not so hot as to be oppressive, and a storm passed nearby, which brought clouds overhead and reduced the temperatures greatly. Lela (my wife) and I got talked into being judges for the Intermediate round (the round after they disqualify the "Alpo" chilis from the bunch ) and that was a blast...free beer and a T-shirt, and a variety of very well-done chilis. It was hard making a decision on a couple of them, because they were all that good.

They also had some really clever amateur entertainment which is done for the "talent" division...apparently, you get points for entertainment as well. The Texas Bag Lady should have won it...she was a scream! Just to try to explain, it was a lady dressed up like a bag lady complete with the broken down shopping cart, etc, who went around from place to place embarrassing people with some hilarious props and off-color comments and jokes about them...like the "ear wash" bottle that turned out to be a douchebag, her portable bottle-fan ("does anyone want a blow job?"), and her container of cheese balls that were "a female rat's best friend."

All in all, it was a terrific day, and although I was exhausted afterward (I crashed after I got home, which is why I'm now up at this hour typing!) it was well worth it. Just wanted to share that with you guys.

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 08-12-2001).]