View Single Post
Old 08-25-2001, 09:18 PM   #26
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:

Anyway, the point is, sports do have an effect on the school's reputation. Employers tend to look at the school names when they hire; if you didn't go to a school like Harvard, then they tend to zoom in on the schools they recognize. For example, UTSA may have a better business program than Nebraska, but employers will tend to notice the person with a business degree from Nebraska before they notice the one from UTSA, simply because the school has greater recognition. As someone who has been involved in HR departments before, I have seen this REPEATEDLY (especially when the main decision makers in the hiring process are into sports). Kinda sucks, but that's life.
Oh most definitely! I got immediate respect for just my presence at job interviews simply because of the level of the schools I have attended for technical instruction! It would not have mattered had I flunked out as long as it was written on my application! It suprised me but at the same time, it didn't.
I think people of that "how important you are by what school you attended" need a serious reality check but unfortunately, it is not going to happen on a large scale level in our lifetime.
I know I'll get more recognition for having Texas A&M on my degree than just Palo Alto...I also think it sucks for people who graduated from Palo Alto prior to the merger since they are left with a less "distunguished looking" degree.
I do have to admit however, that if they had not merged with Texas A&M, I would have done the 2+2 program and graduated from UTSA.
It looks kind of hypocritical for me to say this but it is how I feel...Its not really where you study that counts but how you apply that knowledge after you graduate. I just have the advantage of being able to graduate from a better known university and I am not going to let that option pass me by.
Overall, I think it is pretty stupid to overlook where someone studied when schools that specialize in certain fields don't get priority over those with the better sports programs!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!